Can I Take This Cold Medication With That One
Michael Menna, DO, is a board-certified, active attending emergency medicine physician at White Plains Hospital in White Plains, New York.
From fever to nasal congestion, body aches to sore throat, colds can come with several bothersome symptoms. Many reach for over-the-counter medications to ease themand some reach for more than one, especially if their cold symptoms are varied or severe. Some cold medications can be taken at the same time without issue, but other combinations can pose safety concerns.
Verywell / Theresa Chiechi
Cold N Flu Tablets Buying Guide
- First, our algorithms collected as much information available about these products from trusted sources.
- We employed both Artificial Intelligence and large data volume to validate all collected information.
- Then our AI ranked them on their quality-to-price ratio using industry-standard criteria that let us pick the best Cold N Flu Tablets currently on the market!
To Relieve A Sore Throat Fever Headache Or Muscle Aches
Examples: Motrin Tablets Advil Caplets Aspirin Original Strength Tylenol Regular Strength Tablets
How they work: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , which include ibuprofen and acetylsalicylic acid , work by preventing the formation of prostaglandins, the chemicals in the body that promote pain, inflammation, and fever. Acetaminophen, found in Tylenol, behaves slightly differently it targets the part of the brain that perceives pain and controls body temperature. Both types are equally effective, says Kalyn, so its just a matter of balancing the benefits versus the risks.
NSAIDs will reduce symptoms for six to eight hours compared to four to six for acetaminophen, so NSAIDs can be more beneficial if you need help sleeping through the night.
Need to know: Follow package directions for dosing. The most common adverse effect with NSAIDs is stomach discomfort, so take them with food, says Kalyn. Avoid NSAIDs if you have high blood pressure, a heart, liver or kidney condition, or stomach issues such as heartburn. NSAIDs can increase the risk of ulcers, internal bleeding and damage to the heart, liver, and kidneys. Aspirin should not be taken by those on blood thinners and has been linked to Reyes syndrome, so it should not be given to people age 18 and under. Avoid Tylenol if you have liver or kidney disease.
Try: Motrin Liquid Gels, $20, well.ca
Don’t Miss: How Long Is The Keto Flu
What Is Advil Cold & Sinus
Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug . Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant.
Advil Cold & Sinus is a combination medicine used to treat stuffy nose, sinus congestion, cough, and pain or fever caused by the common cold or flu.
Advil Cold & Sinus may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Comparison Chart Of Top 10 Cold N Flu Tablets
|Amazon Basic Care Daytime Cold & Flu Liquid Caps Cold Care for Daytime Cold and Flu||9.8|
|Contac Cold + Flu Max Strength Multi-Symptom Relief Day/Night Combo||9.8|
|Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil Severe||9.8|
|4||Rite Aid Severe Flu and Cold Relief Caplets – 24 Count – Pain Relief – Congestion Relief – Fever Reducer – Sinus Medicine for Adults – Decongestants for Adults – Cold and Flu Medicine for Adults||9.8|
|Zinc for Kids Ages 2+||9.6|
|Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Cold & Flu Powerfast Fizz Citrus Effervescent Tablets Twinpack||9.2|
|Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Non-Drowsy Cold & Flu PowerFast Fizz Citrus Effervescent Tablets 20ct||8.6|
|Advil Multi Symptom Cold and Flu Medicine||8.6|
|Rite Aid Multi-Symptom Nighttime Cold & Flu Relief||8.6|
|Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold & Flu Relief Tablets 30 ct||8.4|
- ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: This cold medicine contains acetaminophen , dextromethorphan HBr and phenylephrine HCl .
- MULTI-SYMPTOM RELIEF: This cold remedy temporarily relieves headache, fever, sore throat, minor aches and pains, nasal congestion and cough due to the common cold and flu.
- PAIN RELIEVER AND FEVER REDUCER: Cold relief medicine temporarily relieves minor aches and pains, headache, fever and sore throat due to the common cold and flu.
- COUGH SUPPRESSANT: Choose the right cold remedy for your cough during cold and flu season.
- NASAL DECONGESTANT: Cold and flu season often brings nasal congestion as a symptom.
You May Like: Long Term Effects Of Flu Shot
Advil Cold & Sinus Caplets
For over 20 years, people have trusted Advil Cold & Sinus for powerful, non-drowsy relief of their tough cold and sinus symptoms.
Many people attribute sinus pressure to an increase in mucus which blocks their airways. While it is true that increased mucus is a symptom of the common cold, it is not always what makes you feel so stuffed up. Sinus congestion can also be associated with the swelling of the tissues in the nose known as inflammation. The result is a shrinking of your airways.
Advil Cold & Sinus combines the relief of a strong decongestant to open your airways with the power of Advil to relieve the pain commonly associated with sinus pressure.
Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with the common cold or flu:
- minor body aches & pains
12 years of age and older:
- 1 caplet/liquid-gel every 4 to 6 hours while symptoms persist. If symptoms do not respond to 1 caplet/liquid-gel, 2 may be used.
- Do not use more than 6 caplets/liquid-gels in 24 hours unless directed by a doctor.
Under 12 years of age:
- Do not take
*Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug
- acetylated monoglycerides, carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, methylparaben, microcrystalline cellulose, pharmaceutical glaze, pharmaceutical ink, povidone, pregelatinized starch, propylparaben, sodium benzoate, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearic acid, sucrose, synthetic iron oxides, titanium dioxide
What Is Advil Multi
Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine. Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug . Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant.
Advil Multi-Symptom Cold is a combination medicine used to treat sneezing, itching, watery eyes, runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus congestion, headache, and pain or fever caused by allergies or the common cold.
Advil Multi-Symptom Cold may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Don’t Miss: Does Caresource Cover Flu Shots
Advil Multi Symptom Cold And Flu Medicine
- Fifty packets of 1 coated tablet of Advil Multi Symptom Cold and Flu Medicine, Cold Medicine for Adults with Ibuprofen, Phenylephrine HCL and Chlorpheniramine Maleate.
- Powerful Ibuprofen 200mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg and phenylephrine HCL 10 mg tablets for multi-symptom relief.
- Uniquely formulated to fight common cold and flu symptoms, providing nasal congestion, nasal swelling, sneezing, sinus pressure, headache, fever, body aches and runny nose relief.
- Cold medicine for adults available in easy-to-take coated tablet form
- For use by people 12 years of age and older
- Take one tablet every four hours while symptoms persist
- HSA and FSA eligible product
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Very bad belly pain.
Recommended Reading: Osom Rapid Flu Test Instructions
What Are The Mild And More Common Side Effects Of Advil Cold & Sinus
All medications have side-effects. Consumers taking Advil Cold & Sinus potentially have a wide range of side effects. For example, the most common symptoms experienced by sinus sufferers after taking the medication include:
- Sudden changes in speech or vision
Of the above side effects, the most frequent are a rapid or irregular heartbeat, persistent drowsiness and severe vomiting. Contact your doctor if you feel the onset of any of these symptoms.
Combined Remedies To Treat Multiple Symptoms
Daytime examples: Benylin All-In-One Cold and Flu Caplets Robitussin Total Cough, Cold & Flu Vicks DayQuil Cold & Flu Multi Symptom Relief LiquiCaps.
Nighttime examples: Tylenol Complete Cold, Cough & Flu Benylin All-In-One Cold and Flu Night Caplets Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu LiquiCaps.
How they work: If youre suffering from severe and multiple cold and flu symptoms fever, aches, nasal congestion, cough then a combination remedy could be your best choice for relief. These medications combine pain- and fever-reducers with decongestants, cough suppressants, expectorants and, in the nighttime products, antihistamines. There is almost any combination of ingredients available for any combination of symptoms, says Kalyn. Speak to your pharmacist to get help finding the product thats the best match.
Need to know: Follow package directions. Since these treatments contain several different drugs, its especially important to rule out any contraindications with your pharmacist and to avoid taking them with any other cold and flu medications.
If you dont have all of the symptoms listed on the package, consider an alternative product. You could experience unnecessary side effects if youre taking something for a symptom that doesnt need to be treated, says Kalyn. Also, she says, taking multi-symptom medications along with other cold or flu products may result in double dosing.
Try: Tylenol Complete Cold, Cough and Flu Day + Night Capsules, $13, well.ca
Read Also: Does Flu Raise Blood Pressure
To Decongest A Runny Or Stuffy Nose
Examples: Advil Cold & Sinus Liqui-Gels Dristan 12-hr Nasal Spray Otrivin Complete Nasal Care Sudafed Head Cold & Sinus Tylenol Sinus.
How they work: If you are experiencing nasal congestion on top of other cold and flu symptoms such as fever, reach for one of these. Most of these oral remedies combine acetaminophen or ibuprofen with pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which decongests the nasal passages. It constricts the blood vessels and shrinks the swollen mucous membranes, says Kalyn. If youre seeking relief for a stuffy nose alone, then nasal decongestant sprays like Dristan or Otrivin can help, as these drugs work similarly to pseudoephedrine.
Need to know: Follow package directions. Reactions to oral decongestants vary depending on the person. They can have a stimulating effect and can raise heart rate and blood pressure, which can make you feel a bit loopy, says Kalyn. Avoid them completely if you have a metabolic condition that is not well controlled. In such cases, nasal sprays may be a good alternative, but since they can cause rebound congestion, dont use them for more than five consecutive days.
Try: Advil Cold & Sinus, $9, well.ca
Clinically Proven Efficacy In Sore Throat Pain
Ibuprofen offered statistically significant effective sore throat relief in the following study:
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 1988
- A double-blind, single dose parallel study was conducted to evaluate treatment of sore throat pain. Ibuprofen was more effective on all rating scales from 180 to 360 minutes vs. acetaminophen and at all time points vs. placebo .14*
*Schachtel BP et al conducted a double-blind, single-dose parallel study of patients with tonsillopharyngitis who randomly received either 400 mg ibuprofen, 1000 mg acetaminophen or placebo. At hourly intervals for 6 hours, patients reported pain intensity and pain relief on conventional scales and two sensory qualities of throat pain on two new visual analogy scales.
Read Also: How Long Are People Contagious With The Flu
Cold And Flu Prevention Strategies
To prevent the flu, Health Canada encourages all Canadians over six months of age to be vaccinated the vaccine takes two weeks to become active and lasts for six months. Ideally, you should get one at the beginning of flu season which in Canada runs from November through April but its still effective even if you get it at a later date. Pregnant women, seniors, children and people with chronic health conditions have a higher risk of complications from the flu, so it is especially important that they get vaccinated. According to Campbell-Scherer, its also possible to have some immunity if the strain of cold or flu virus going around is a variation on one youve either contracted or been immunized for before.
Otherwise, the best way to avoid getting either the flu or a cold is to wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time, says , a naturopathic doctor in Victoria and a director at the British Columbia Naturopathic Association. If soap and water arent available, a hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol is the next best thing. Supplementing with vitamin D may also help.
But if youre an adult who is normally in good health and just feeling sick, stay at home in bed, says Campbell-Scherer. Get plenty of rest, drink lots of fluids, and manage your symptoms with one of these over-the-counter remedies.
When Used As Directed For Acute Pain Otc Ibuprofen Is Well Tolerated2*
In the PAIN study, which included over 8,500 patients, total GI events and abdominal pain were less frequent with ibuprofen compared to ASA or acetaminophen ) 2,3
This large-scale randomized trial comparing nonprescription doses of ASA, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen in 8,677 adults measured rates of significant adverse events related to tolerability. The primary outcome measure was the number of patients with at least one significant adverse event, defined as an event that was serious, severe or moderate, resulted in a second physician consultation, led to cessation of treatment, or was of missing intensity. Statistical analysis tested for equivalence between ibuprofen and acetaminophen, and for difference with ASA.2,3*
GI: gastrointestinal ASA: acetylsalicylic acid OTC = over the counter.
* This was a blinded, multicentre study in general practice of up to 7 days of ASA, acetaminophen or ibuprofen , administered for common painful conditions, using patient generated data with physician assistance. 1,108 general practitioners included 8,677 adults . The main indications were musculoskeletal or back pain , sore throat, the common cold and flu .
You May Like: What Religion Does Not Allow The Flu Shot
How Should I Take Advil Cold & Sinus
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. An overdose of ibuprofen can damage your stomach or intestines.
Take Advil Cold & Sinus with food or milk to lessen stomach upset.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time if you have taken this medicine within the past few days.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What Should I Avoid While Taking Advil Multi
Avoid driving or hazardous activity until you know how this medicine will affect you. Your reactions could be impaired.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using other medicines for pain, fever, swelling, or cold/flu symptoms. They may contain ingredients similar to ibuprofen .
You May Like: Flu Shot Appointment At Cvs
Vicks Dayquil And Nyquil Severe
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH COLD & FLU RELIEF.
- SMALLEST BRANDED, 4-ACTIVE, MAXIMUM STRENGTH DAYTIME LIQUICAPS.
- OUR SMALLEST MOST POWERFUL NIGHTTIME LIQUICAP.
- PAIN RELIEF & FEVER REDUCER.
- MULTI-SYMPTOM RELIEF with NyQuil SEVERE Cold & Flu, which also contains a nasal decongestant and DayQuil SEVERE Cold & Flu, which contains an expectorant to help loosen phlegm and thin bronchial secretions to make coughs more productive.
Compare With Similar Items
|This item Advil Multi Symptom Cold and Flu Medicine, Cold Medicine for Adults with Ibuprofen, Phenylephrine HCL and Chlorpheniramine Maleate – 20 Coated Tablets|
|4.7 out of 5 stars||4.8 out of 5 stars||4.8 out of 5 stars||4.8 out of 5 stars||4.8 out of 5 stars||4.8 out of 5 stars|
|Shipping||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with||FREE Shippingon orders over $25.00 shipped by Amazon or get Fast, Free Shipping with|
|20 Count||20 Count||24 Count||24 Count||50 Count||48 Count|
See package for ingredients
Satisfaction Guarantee If for any reason you are not satisfied with any GSK Consumer Healthcare product, GSK Consumer Healthcare will provide you with a reimbursement within 45 days of the date of purchase. Please note that because GSK is unable to control the quality of our products sold by unauthorized sellers, the Guarantee is not available for products purchased from unauthorized sellers due to potential quality issues outside GSKâs control. Please contact GSK Consumer Healthcare directly for more information.
4.7 out of 5 stars
Recommended Reading: Is There A Vaccine For Avian Flu