What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take Tylenol Nighttime Cold & Flu
- If you have an allergy to acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, doxylamine, pseudoephedrine, or any other part of Tylenol NightTime Cold & Flu .
- If you are allergic to Tylenol NightTime Cold & Flu any part of Tylenol NightTime Cold & Flu or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Tylenol NightTime Cold & Flu .
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Tylenol NightTime Cold & Flu with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
Common Cold Symptoms During Pregnancy
Generally, a cold will start with a sore or scratchy throat lasting about a day or two, followed by the gradual onset of other symptoms which may include:
- Mild fatigue
- A runny, then later stuffy nose
- A dry cough, particularly as the cold is ending which may continue for a week or more after the other symptoms have mostly subsided
- A low-grade fever typically under 100 degrees Fahrenheit
Cold symptoms usually last between 10 to 14 days. However, if your symptoms persist longer than that time frame or seem to progressively worsen, you should talk to your primary care physician so they can ensure it hasnt turned into something more serious like an infection or the flu.
Cold & Flu During Pregnancy: Symptoms & Prevention Boots
Treating a cold while youre pregnant. To help relieve your headache and throat pain, and to help reduce a high temperature, you can consider taking paracetamol. Paracetamol is generally considered safe for use at all stages of pregnancy. As with any medicine, you should take the lowest dose needed, for the shortest amount of time required.
Also Check: What Does Flu Shot Help With
These Surprising Safer Alternatives May Be A Better Choice
Mothers-to-be get headaches and upset stomachs just like everyone else. So its not surprising that most pregnant women have used over-the-counter medications. In fact, some data suggest that, overall, women are actually more likely to use certain medicationsincluding cough and cold drugs and acetaminophen after they become pregnant.
Theres a misperception that if a drug is available over-the-counter, that its approved by the Food and Drug Administration, so it must be safe for everyone, including pregnant women, Allen Mitchell, M.D. professor of pediatrics and epidemiology at the Boston University School of Public Health and Medicine, said. Even doctors may think this is the case. But some OTC drugs have been shown to pose risks to the developing fetus at different stages of pregnancy.
To help you and your doctor make more informed choices about which medications to take, weve identified 10 common ingredients used in OTC drugs that are risky for pregnant women, as well as safer alternatives.
Even then, you should use alternatives judiciously, and only as advised by your health care provider. Experts refer to safer medications because for 98 percent of prescription and OTC drugs, there simply isnt enough data to say for sure that a drug is entirely safe to take during pregnancy. Due to ethical concerns, most FDA-approved medicines have not been tested in pregnant women.
Tell us below.
Can I Take Anything To Help Me Sleep While Pregnant
In addition to these over-the-counter and prescription sleep aids, there are also herbal preparations that are considered safe for occasional use in pregnancy, such as Unisom, Tylenol PM, Sominex, and Nytol, but make sure you consult your doctor before taking any of these. It is also a good idea not to take sleep aids every night.
Recommended Reading: Cvs Free Flu Shot For Uninsured
Pregnancy And Otc Cough Cold And Analgesic Preparations
Benefits Versus RisksIn the United States, about 150,000 babies are born each year with birth defects.7 Birth defects can occur due to many nonpharmacologic factors. Some of the most common defects are spina bifida, microtia, hypoplastic left heart, cleft palate, cleft lip, esophageal atresia, anencephaly, omphalocele, and limb reduction.7 Practitioners must weigh the benefits versus the risks when recommending OTC analgesics and cough and cold preparations to pregnant women. Since ailments treated with OTC and herbal products in pregnant women are not usually life-threatening, practitioners should also consider suggesting nonpharmacologic remedies, such as rest and fluids.This article presents information on some common OTC analgesic and cough and cold preparations available. Each section discusses the product, pregnancy category, information regarding safety data in pregnancy, dosing, side effects, and contraindications. The comparison of risks and benefits must be considered for each individual patient. Information relating to when patients should refer to a physician is included to assist with the decision-making process.
What Happens If I Overdose
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of acetaminophen can be fatal.
The first signs of an acetaminophen overdose include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweating, and confusion or weakness. Later symptoms may include pain in your upper stomach, dark urine, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
Don’t Miss: Has Flu Season Started In Texas
Before Taking This Medicine
Do not use this medicine if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, and tranylcypromine.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, or phenylephrine.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have other medical conditions, especially:
liver disease, alcoholism, or if you drink more than 3 alcoholic beverages per day
enlarged prostate or urination problems
cough with mucus, or cough caused by emphysema or chronic bronchitis
It is not known whether Tylenol Cold & Flu Severe will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are pregnant.
Acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. may also slow breast milk production. Do not use this medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Artificially sweetened liquid medicine may contain phenylalanine. Check the medication label if you have phenylketonuria .
Supplement Use During Pregnancy
Discuss any supplements you take or plan to take during your pregnancy with your doctor.
While prenatal vitamins are recommended to support levels of essential vitamins and minerals, like folate, other supplements may pose risks to your baby. They may also interact with medications youre already taking.
Note that just because something is labeled all-natural doesnt always mean its safe. Supplements are by the FDA in the same way as prescription drugs. Approach them with caution and discuss using with your doctor before starting any.
Don’t Miss: Flu Shot For Seniors 2021
Does Robitussin Dm Have Tylenol In It
Home remedies for strep throat during pregnancy
Medications You Should Definitely Avoid During Pregnancy:
Make sure to avoid the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors: These are prescribed for hypertension or congestive heart failure, and can cause miscarriage or birth defects.
- Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine , especially if taken during the first trimester, may cause stomach defects or affect blood flow to the placenta though some doctors will recommend in limited amounts in the second and third trimesters. Also avoid cough and cold meds that contain alcohol or NSAIDs.
- Isotretinoin : This medication for cystic acne raises the risk of miscarriage and physical and mental defects in babies.
- Methotrexate: Used to treat psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis, methotrexate increases the risk of miscarriage and birth defects.
- Valproic acid: Used for epilepsy, bipolar disorder and sometimes migraines, valproic acid can cause major birth defects, such as a heart defect, and behavior and learning problems. Check with your practitioner if valproic acid can be changed to another medication prior to pregnancy.
Don’t Miss: Walgreens High Dose Flu Shot Cost
What Can I Do To Help Me Sleep While Pregnant
Pregnancy Sleep Tips
Prenatal Yoga And Meditation
Prenatal yoga is a great way to relieve all types of body pains and headaches during pregnancy. It helps to stretch the muscles and relaxes the mind. Different breathing practices of yoga may help to alleviate headaches.
Meditation, on the other hand, helps to reduce anxiety, calms the body, and promotes overall wellbeing. Yoga and meditation also support better sleep, which can be quite helpful to minimize the different bodily pains and aches. However, you should do prenatal yoga only under proper guidance
Recommended Reading: What Insurance Covers Flu Shots At Cvs
Can You Take Antibiotics During Pregnancy
Antibiotics can be a literal lifesaver when they’re used to treat a bacterial infection. If your doctor prescribes you an antibiotic during pregnancy, it’s generally because the infection it’s treating is more dangerous than any potential side effects of taking the drug. If your doctor prescribes you an antibiotic, it will generally be in the penicillin or erythromycin family.
That said, antibiotics can also be overused when they’re not necessary, leading to antibiotic-resistant infections. A few things to remember:
Some research suggests that certain antibiotics may be linked to a higher risk of miscarriage and birth defects. This risk, however, is very low, and the illnesses the pregnant moms were being treated for could have been the cause for the miscarriages rather than the drugs themselves.
Remember that while it’s not wise to take antibiotics when they’re not warranted , they can be essential even lifesaving for your health and your baby’s. If your doctor prescribes antibiotics and you’re concerned, ask about the potential risks and benefits.
Can Tylenol Pm Cause Restless Leg Syndrome
Drugs that can cause or worsen RLS include beta-blockers, calcium-channel blockers, cold and allergy medicines containing antihistamines, sleep medications or diphenhydramine , antidepressants, antinausea medicines, and antipsychotics. Make lifestyle changes.
This recent study provides evidence that pregnant mothers should avoid taking acetaminophen for four consecutive weeks or more, Hallowell added. The reason is that long-term use increases the risk of the child’s developing ADHD or ASD.
Taking too much acetaminophen can cause liver damage, kidney damage, and anemia in a pregnant woman. It has also been reported to cause the same problems in the baby.
You may also like:
Also Check: Does Uhc Cover Flu Shots
Home Remedies: How To Alleviate A Congestion Naturally
There are many safe home remedies you can use to alleviate your symptoms and recover from a sinus infection:
- Drink plenty of fluids such as water, broth, and citrus juice. Staying hydrated is important for helping you fight infection and for clearing a stuffy nose.
- Use saline nasal irrigation or saline nose drops. You can make your own saline drops by combining 1 cup of warm water with 1/8 tsp salt and a tiny pinch of baking soda.
- Use a humidifier at night. This will help clear nasal passages. You may also lean over a pan of boiling water taken off the stove, place a towel over your head, and breathe in the steam. This helps open your nasal passages and loosens mucus in your chest.
- Elevating your head with a couple of pillows while lying down may make breathing easier. Using nasal strips also helps open nasal passages.
- For a sore throat, gargle salt water , drink a warm liquid or suck on ice. Honey and lemon may also soothe a sore throat.
- Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep as this will help your immune system fight the infection.
- During pregnancy, it is common to lose your appetite, and feeling sick may not help. However, even if you dont have an appetite, it is important to eat well. If you lose your appetite, it may help to eat smaller meals throughout the day. Make sure you are eating nutrient-dense foods such as fruits and vegetables. Soup may also be a soothing option.
Acetaminophen Cold And Flu
There is a variety of medicine for cough and cold and stomach flu medicine, but when it comes to getting effective flu symptom relief, Tylenol Flu may be a good choice for your cold and flu-related pain. This over-the-counter medication can help temporarily relieve minor aches and pains, sore throat, fever, congestion, and cough. Check the dosage of the formula you choose to confirm the amount of acetaminophen it contains. This pain-relieving medication can reduce fever and make you feel better faster. The Tylenol Cold + Flu medication also contains ingredients that can help suppress cough, reduce nasal congestion, and help make your coughs more productive.
Also Check: How Did The Spanish Flu Get Its Name
Cough And Cold During Pregnancy: Treatment And Prevention
Many medications you normally would use to treat the symptoms of your cold are not safe to take during your pregnancy. The following is a list of medications that pose little risk to your baby during pregnancy however, it is best to consult with your doctor before taking any medications to relieve your symptoms.
Sinus Infection While Pregnant
Pregnancy comes with its own set of challenges that can make dealing with a sinus infection much harder than normal. For one, you are more likely to get sick, as pregnancy suppresses the immune system.
These natural changes in immunity exist to strike a balance between the mothers health and to protect the baby from disease. Additionally, certain parts of the immune system are suppressed to prevent the body from rejecting the fetus as something foreign.
While these are all natural functions, they unfortunately make sinusitis a pervasive threat, particularly for those who have been susceptible to infections in the past. Additionally, several conventional sinusitis treatments are unsafe for pregnant women, so it is important to know what you can and cannot use to treat your sinus infection while pregnant.
The good news is that, despite these challenges, a sinus infection will most likely not affect your unborn child. The first step is to determine whether or not you have sinusitis.
You May Like: Sambucol Black Elderberry Cold And Flu
Classification Of Tylenol Cold
Each ingredient in Tylenol Cold has its own category. Acetaminophen is Category B. Many women take it during pregnancy with no adverse affects. Dextromethorphan HBr is Category C, along with the other two ingredients in Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Severe, phenylephrine HCl and guaifenesin. When considering the safety of a drug with multiple active ingredients, the category of each one must be considered. Since three out of four active ingredients in the Severe medication and two out of three in the Daytime formula are Category C, the medication is not safe for pregnancy unless the benefit outweighs the risk.
Acetaminophen / Chlorpheniramine / Dextromethorphan / Phenylephrine Pregnancy And Breastfeeding Warnings
Acetaminophen / chlorpheniramine / dextromethorphan / phenylephrine is also known as: Alka-Seltzer Plus Maximum Strength Cold & Cough, Alka-Seltzer Plus Maximum Strength Cold & Cough Liquid Gels, Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Cold & Flu Formula Effervescent Tablets, Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Sinus & Cold Hot Drink Mix, Codral Cold and Flu + Cough Day and Night, Cold Multi-Symptom , Comtrex Cold & Cough Day Night, Comtrex Nighttime Cold & Cough, Dimetapp Children’s Multi-Symptom Cold & Flu , Dimetapp Children’s Nighttime Flu, Giltuss Children’s Multi-Symptom Cold & Flu, Giltuss Multi-Symptom Cold & Flu, Multi Symptom Cold , Multi Symptom Cold Relief, PediaCare Flu Plus Acetaminophen, PediaCare Multi-Symptom Cold Plus Acetaminophen, Theraflu Nighttime Severe Cold & Cough Caplets, Theraflu Warming Relief Nighttime Multi-Symptom Cold Caplets, Triaminic Multi-Symptom Fever & Cold, Tylenol Childrens Cold + Flu, Tylenol Cold Head Congestion Day and Night, Tylenol Cold Head Congestion Nighttime, Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom Nighttime, XL-3 Xtra Cold and Cough
Also Check: How Much Do Flu Shots At Cvs Cost
Tips To Consider Before Taking An Otc Drug
- Try nondrug measures. For complaints commonly handled by OTC products, nondrug measures can help alleviate symptoms without the risk. For example, stress busters such as massage, meditation, relaxation exercises, or even a walk around the block, can help with tension headaches. And rest, fluids, and chicken soup are a much safer way for pregnant women to deal with symptoms of a cold than antihistamines and decongestants.
- Consult your healthcare provider. Don’t take anything without first discussing it with your practitioner. There are trade-offs with OTC products, Mitchell said. You have to balance your need to take something with any possible risks.
- Avoid combination products. Multi-symptom cold and allergy medications typically contain ingredients from the off-limits list. For example, while Tylenol pain reliever is relatively safe for occasional use during pregnancy, Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain and Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom liquid contain the decongestant phenylephrine, which is not.
- Read labels.Ingredients such as alcohol and caffeine turn up in surprising places. For example, Vicks Nyquil Cold & Flu Liquid contains alcohol. And CVS Aspirin-Free Tension Headache, is indeed, free of aspirin, but still contains caffeine.
What Are The Symptoms Of A Cold During Pregnancy
A cold usually begins with a sore or scratchy throat that lasts for a day or two, followed by the gradual appearance of other symptoms, including:
- A runny, then later stuffy, nose
- Mild fatigue
- A dry cough, particularly near the colds end, which may continue for a week or more after other symptoms have subsided
- Low-grade fever
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Pregnant
Recommended Reading: Cvs Flu Shot Gift Card