When To See A Doctor
Although body aches are normal with the flu, if they become more severe than you would expect, you should contact your doctor.
You should also seek medical attention for muscle aches if:
- There are signs of infection, such as redness or swelling, around a muscle
- There is poor circulation in the area that hurts
- You have recently been bitten by a tick
- Pain doesn’t improve within three days
- You have difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- You have muscle weakness or cannot move part of your body
- You have vomiting, a stiff neck, and fever
Some people, especially children, may experience very painful leg cramps with the flu. Leg cramps can be so painful that walking is difficult or accompanied by a limp. If your child is complaining of leg pain in his or her calves or refuses to walk, contact your family’s pediatrician to determine if an evaluation and treatment are necessary.
Who Should Get An Annual Flu Shot
The Centers for Disease Control recommends the following groups receive an annual flu vaccine shot between November and February :
- All people aged six months and older.
It is especially important for certain individuals at high risk of flu complications and those who come in contact with people at high risk of complications to receive the flu vaccine. These people at high risk include:
- Residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
- People who have chronic medical conditions such as asthma, heart disease, diabetes, kidney and liver disorders and chronic lung diseases.
- People with a weakened immune system, for example, people with cancer, HIV/AIDS, or chronic steroid users.
- Household members and caregivers of patients at risk of complications from the flu.
- Women who are or will be pregnant during the flu season .
- Healthcare workers who come into close contact with patients in hospitals, nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and other healthcare facilities.
- Infants and children ages six months through 18 years who are taking long-term aspirin therapy. This puts these individuals at risk for experiencing Reye syndrome after flu infection.
- American Indians/Alaska natives.
- People who have close contact with children under five years of age for example, people who live with children, nannies and providers of daycare services.
- People who are morbidly obese .
How To Relieve Aches In Your Body From The Flu
As if having symptoms of the flu like fever, sore throat and congestion weren’t bad enough, body aches and the flu often go hand in hand. Not everyone will have the same symptoms when they are sick, but body aches and fatigue are fairly common in people suffering from the flu.i
Typically, rest and plenty of fluids are all you need to treat the flu,ii but weve collected some extra tips and tricks for treating the body aches you may be experiencing. Here are a few tips on how to relive aches in your body from flu:
Read Also: Cold And Flu Dissolving Tablets
Know When To Get Emergency Care For Serious Flu Symptoms
Most likely, Steps 1-5 will be all you need to get over the flu. But influenza is a serious illness, so its important to watch for more serious symptoms.
Go to the emergency room if you, your child or another loved one is experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty breathing
- Sudden dizziness
- Confusion or worse-than-normal mental function
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Loss of appetite or refusal to eat or drink
Children especially infants and toddlers can experience other unique symptoms that can indicate something more serious is going on. Go to the nearest emergency room if your child:
- Is less than 3 months old and has a fever of above 100.4°F
- Is between 3 months old and 3 years old, has a fever of above 100.4°F, and is showing signs of dehydration
- Has a fever with a rash
- Has skin or lips that have turned gray or blue
- Is extremely irritable
- Not waking up or interacting with you
Urgent Advice: Get Advice From 111 Now If:
- you’re worried about your baby’s or child’s symptoms
- you’re 65 or over
- you’re pregnant
- you have a long-term medical condition for example, diabetes or a heart, lung, kidney or neurological disease
- you have a weakened immune system for example, because of chemotherapy or HIV
- your symptoms do not improve after 7 days
111 will tell you what to do. They can arrange a phone call from a nurse or doctor if you need one.
Go to 111.nhs.uk or call 111.
Read Also: What Can Give You Flu Like Symptoms
Try An Over The Counter Pain Medication
You may find that your feelings of aches and pains improves significantly with the use of over the counter pain relievers.
Homeopathic flu remedies may be able to effectively treat body aches and pains using natural ingredients, while traditional medications like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen can also help to make you feel more comfortable.
Make sure you talk with your doctor prior to using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, because although they can be very effective at treating body aches and pains, people with certain medical issues may not be able to take them safely. Individuals with kidney problems, bleeding issues, stomach issues, and certain other types of medical problems should consider using alternative medications for body aches.
How To Avoid Spreading The Flu
Flu is very infectious and easily spread to other people. You’re more likely to give it to others in the first 5 days.
Flu is spread by germs from coughs and sneezes, which can live on hands and surfaces for 24 hours.
To reduce the risk of spreading flu:
- wash your hands often with warm water and soap
- use tissues to trap germs when you cough or sneeze
- bin used tissues as quickly as possible
- try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people if you have a high temperature or you do not feel well enough to do your normal activities
Don’t Miss: Does Advil Cold And Flu Make You Drowsy
Ginger & Turmeric Tea
Ginger and Turmeric powder
Ginger root and Turmeric root are scientifically proven to be the most powerful natural pain relievers on earth:
Turmeric the healing power of Turmeric root comes from curcumin the active ingredient which lowers the levels of inflammation-causing enzymes.
Ginger this natural anti-inflammatory has been used for thousands of years by the Chinese to relieve pain. It is composed of 90% sesquiterpenes responsible for its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and other healing properties.
How to Use Ginger & Turmeric for Flu Body Aches
Both herbal remedies can be either digested, used topically, or inhaled .
Heres how I used them:
1. Ginger & Turmeric tea cut up both roots and boil them for 10 minutes. Then strain the water, add a pinch of black pepper and drink the tea slowly. Add honey to sweeten.
If you dont have the fresh roots you can use them in powdered form. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder with 1/2 teaspoon Ginger powder and a pinch of black pepper. Add boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drink slowly.
2. Ginger oil this essential oil is a powerful topical pain reliever. The best one would come from a distilled fresh ginger root, like this one.
Mix 2-3 drops of Ginger oil with a carrier oil and rub all over your aching muscles. The relief can be almost immediate and last for a few hours.
Also, if you are sensitive to one or both these herbs, do not use them topically either.
Treat Aches And Fever
Got fever? Thatâs because your body has turned up the heat to fight off the flu virus.
You may want to treat it if you are uncomfortable or have any of the aches that come with it. with over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen. Ask your doctor which is right for you.
Never give aspirin to anyone younger than 19. Itâs linked to a condition known as Reye’s syndrome, a serious illness that can damage the brain and liver.
Don’t Miss: Can Flu Shots Be Mandatory
When To Visit Your Gp
If you are otherwise fit and healthy, there’s usually no need to visit your GP if you have flu-like symptoms.
You should just rest at home until you feel better, while keeping warm, drinking plenty of water and taking painkillers if necessary.
In these cases, your GP may suggest taking antiviral medication.
Rinse With Salt Water
A warm water and salt rinse can soothe a sore throat. It can also help to clear mucous. Heres how to rinse with salt water:
Do not swallow the salt water. Do not allow children to gargle until they can safely gargle with plain water.
You May Like: When Did Flu Shots Start
Best Home Remedies To Fight The Flu
Getting the flu is no fun, but there are ways to ease your aches.
Fever, muscle aches, runny nose, sore throat, and fatigue flu symptoms can leave you feeling so bad that they stop you right in your tracks.
Unlike the common cold, the flu is a serious respiratory disease that can lead to potentially dangerous complications, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . If you do become infected, its important to take steps to prevent spreading the disease to others and keep your own symptoms from getting worse.
How To Get The Flu Vaccine
The flu vaccine is a safe and effective vaccine. It’s offered every year on the NHS to help protect people at risk of flu and its complications.
The best time to have the flu vaccine is in the autumn before flu starts spreading. But you can get the vaccine later.
The flu vaccine is given to people who:
- are 50 and over
- have certain health conditions
- are pregnant
- are in a long-stay residential care
- receive a carer’s allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
- live with someone who is more likely to get infections
- frontline health or social care workers
You can have the NHS flu vaccine at:
- your GP surgery
Don’t Miss: Cvs Cold And Flu Severe
What Is The Difference Between A Cold And The Flu
Colds and the flu are common seasonal ailments, both caused by bacteria and viruses that can affect your nose, sinuses, and/or throat. Colds come on slower, usually over a period of 2 days, and are characterized by a runny nose, congestion, sneezing, coughing, and watery eyes. Symptoms typically last 3 10 days. The flu comes on fast and symptoms include fever, chills, body aches, weakness, and fatigue. Symptoms of the flu can last 7 14 days and may continue for up to 3 weeks. If you are feeling ill, we always recommend that you visit your doctor to get a proper diagnosis and find out about the treatment options that are best for you.
What To Do When You Have The Flu
So you think you have the flu. Unlike a cold, your symptoms came on suddenly, and they include things like: coughing, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches and headache, chills, fatigue, and possibly a fever, diarrhea, or vomiting. Dont panic. In most cases, the flu is a mild though unpleasant illness that passes on its own. However, it can be a good idea to confirm that you have the flu with your doctor. He or she can give you a professional diagnosis and treatment advice. In most cases, the best thing to do when you have the flu is to rest, take care of yourself, and stay home so that you cannot spread the virus to others. Over the counter medications like Tylenol Cold and Flu Severe may help temporarily relieve some of your symptoms, but they wont help the illness pass any faster. You should be sure to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. However, the flu is different from the common cold, and in some cases, it can lead to deadly circumstances. If you are feeling very sick, are very concerned about any of your symptoms, and especially if you are in a high risk group, make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible. He or she can assess your symptoms and may recommend antiviral treatment or other medical interventions as necessary. Your doctor may also recommend a flu shot for next year.
Recommended Reading: Is The Quadrivalent Flu Shot Better
Drink Water And Fluids
Drinking water and other fluids is even more important when you have the flu. This is true whether you have a respiratory flu or a stomach flu.
Water helps to keep your nose, mouth, and throat moist. This helps your body get rid of built-up mucous and phlegm.
You can also get dehydrated if you arent eating or drinking normally. Diarrhea and fever , can also cause water loss.
You can stay hydrated by consuming plenty of:
Youll know youre drinking enough water and liquids if:
- you have to urinate regularly
- the color of your urine is almost clear or pale yellow
If your urine is a deep yellow to amber color, you may be dehydrated.
Its also helpful to avoid smoking as much as possible since it can further irritate your nose, throat, and lungs.
Difference Between Influenza And Covid
and the flu can be similar.
If you are unwell with flu-like symptoms, contact the COVID-19 hotline on or your GP to check if you require COVID-19 testing.
The symptoms to watch out for are:
- loss or changein sense of smell or taste
Some people may also experience headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Also Check: When To Get Flu Shot During Pregnancy
Do I Need To Go To The Emergency Room If I Am Only A Little Sick
No. The emergency room should be used for people who are very sick. You should not go to the emergency room if you are only mildly ill.
If you have emergency warning signs of flu sickness, you should go to the emergency room. If you get sick with flu symptoms and are at higher risk of flu complications or you are concerned about your illness, call your health care provider for advice.
People experiencing any of these warning signs should obtain medical care right away.
- Fast breathing or trouble breathing
- Bluish lips or face
- Ribs pulling in with each breath
- Chest pain
- Severe muscle pain
- Not alert or interacting when awake
- In children less than 12 weeks, any fever
- Fever or cough that improve but then return or worsen
- Worsening of chronic medical conditions
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Persistent dizziness, confusion, inability to arouse
When To Seek Medical Care
People who are at high risk for flu complicationsincluding children younger than 5 years, adults older than 65, pregnant women, and people with diabetes, heart disease, asthma, or kidney or liver diseaseshould see a healthcare provider as soon as they develop early flu symptoms. The provider can prescribe an antiviral medication to reduce the severity of the illness, but the medication is most effective if taken within 48 hours of developing symptoms.
Otherwise healthy people usually do not need to see a doctor for the flu. However, if you notice any of these symptoms, call your healthcare provider right away:
Fever greater than 102 degrees Fahrenheit that lasts for three days or more
Symptoms getting worse, instead of better, over a week to 10 days
Read Also: Meds To Treat The Flu
Using Medications And Supplements To Treat Body Aches
Causes Of The Stomach Flu
The stomach flu is usually caused by any number of different viruses that can attack your gastrointestinal system. Its not caused by the influenza virus, which gives you the seasonal flu.
Less often, bacteria can cause it, typically due to contaminated water or food that was prepared inadequately or in an unhygienic environment.
Read Also: Mid Dakota Clinic Flu Shots