How Is This Medicine Best Taken
Use Mucinex Fast-Max as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Mucinex Fast-Max on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Mucinex Fast-Max is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
Maximum Strength Mucinex Fast
|Mucinex FAST-MAX DAY Cold & Flu|
|Acetaminophen 325 mg|
|Mucinex FAST-MAX NIGHT Cold & Flu|
|Acetaminophen 325 mg|
- temporarily relieves these common cold and flu symptoms:
- sinus congestion and pressure
- itching of the nose or throat
- itchy, watery eyes due to hay fever
This product contains acetaminophen. Severe liver damage may occur if you take:
- more than 12 liquid gels in 24 hours, which is the maximum daily amount
- with other drugs containing acetaminophen
- 3 or more alcoholic drinks daily while using this product
How Should I Take Mucinex Fast
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. This medicine is usually taken only for a short time until your symptoms clear up.
Do not take more of this medication than recommended. An acetaminophen overdose can damage your liver or cause death.
Do not give this medication to a child younger than 4 years old. Always ask a doctor before giving cough or cold medicine to a child. Death can occur from the misuse of cough or cold medicine in very young children.
Measure liquid medicine with a special dose measuring spoon or medicine cup, not with a regular table spoon. If you do not have a dose measuring device, ask your pharmacist for one.
Dissolve one packet of the powder in at least 8 ounces of hot water. Stir and sip drink immediately while the liquid is hot.
Do not take for longer than 7 days in a row. Stop taking the medicine and call your doctor if you still have a fever after 3 days of use, you still have pain after 7 days , if your symptoms get worse, or if you have a skin rash, ongoing headache, or any redness or swelling.
If you need surgery or medical tests, tell the surgeon or doctor ahead of time if you have taken this medicine within the past few days.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not allow liquid medicine to freeze.
Recommended Reading: Difference Between Flu And Pneumonia Symptoms
What Other Drugs Will Affect Mucinex Fast
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using this medicine if you are also using any other drugs, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Some medicines can cause unwanted or dangerous effects when used together. Not all possible interactions are listed in this medication guide.
Taking this medicine with other drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing can worsen these effects. Ask your doctor before taking acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, and phenylephrine with a sleeping pill, narcotic pain medicine, muscle relaxer, or medicine for anxiety, depression, or seizures.
How To Use Mucinex Fast
See also Warning section.
If you are using the over-the-counter product, read and follow all directions on the product package before taking this medication.
Take this medication by mouth with or without food, usually every 4 to 6 hours as needed, or as directed by your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids when you use this medication unless otherwise directed by your doctor. The fluid will help loosen the mucus in your lungs.
If you are using a liquid form, carefully measure your dose using a medication-measuring device or spoon. Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose. For some liquid products, you may need to shake the bottle well before each dose. Check the directions on the product package.
The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. Do not increase your dose or take this medication more often than directed without your doctor’s approval. Improper use of this medication may result in serious harm .
Tell your doctor if your condition lasts for more than 5 to 7 days, if it gets worse, or if it occurs with headache that doesn’t go away, rash, or fever lasting more than 3 days. These may be symptoms of a serious medical problem and should be checked by a doctor.
You May Like: Cold And Flu Dissolving Tablets
What Happens If I Overdose
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of acetaminophen can be fatal.
The first signs of an acetaminophen overdose include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweating, and confusion or weakness. Later symptoms may include pain in your upper stomach, dark urine, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
How Do I Store And/or Throw Out Mucinex Fast
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Before Taking This Medicine
Do not use this medicine if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include furazolidone, isocarboxazid, linezolid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, and tranylcypromine.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, or phenylephrine.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist if it is safe for you to take this medicine if you have other medical conditions, especially:
enlarged prostate or urination problems
cough with mucus, or cough caused by emphysema or chronic bronchitis
It is not known whether Mucinex Fast-Max Severe Cold will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are pregnant.
Acetaminophen, dextromethorphan, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine may pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. may also slow breast milk production. Do not use this medicine without a doctor’s advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Artificially sweetened liquid medicine may contain phenylalanine. Check the medication label if you have phenylketonuria .
What Do I Need To Tell My Doctor Before I Take Mucinex Fast
- If you are allergic to Mucinex Fast-Max any part of Mucinex Fast-Max or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson’s disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine,tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
- If you have liver disease.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Mucinex Fast-Max .
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Mucinex Fast-Max with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
Read Also: How Long Flu Lasts In Adults
What Should I Avoid While Taking Mucinex Fast
Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of liver damage while you are taking acetaminophen.
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any other cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication. Acetaminophen is contained in many combination medicines. Taking certain products together can cause you to get too much acetaminophen which can lead to a fatal overdose. Check the label to see if a medicine contains acetaminophen or APAP.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- A very bad skin reaction may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin red or irritated eyes or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
Read Also: Coricidin Hbp Cold And Flu Dosage
Stop Use And Ask A Doctor If
- nervousness, dizziness, or sleeplessness occur
- pain, nasal congestion, or cough gets worse or lasts more than 7 days
- fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- redness or swelling is present
- new symptoms occur
- cough comes back, or occurs with fever, rash, or headache that lasts. These could be signs of a serious condition.
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children.
What Are Some Other Side Effects Of Mucinex Fast
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Don’t Miss: Cvs Out Of Pocket Flu Shot
What Is Mucinex Fast
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer.
Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. It affects the signals in the brain that trigger cough reflex.
Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It helps loosen congestion in your chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through your mouth.
Mucinex Fast-Max Severe Cold is a combination medicine used to treat headache, fever, body aches, cough, chest congestion, stuffy nose, and sinus congestion caused by allergies, the common cold, or the flu.
Mucinex Fast-Max Severe Cold may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.